RE: Distributed spares

Martin is absolutely correct.  Enterprise class drives have come a long way. They will scan and
fix blocks (but certainly not 100% of them) in background.  The $99 disk drives you get at
the local computer retailer now even have limited BGMS / repair capability.

If you run the built-in diags on disk drives, you can be presented with a list of known bad blocks,
or when you boot a disk drive, sometimes you can get a bad block display in POST.

How about a baby step?  When you run offline or online tests, or even when you run media scans,
you get a list of known defects.  How about a program that rewrites a RAID1/3/5/6 stripe, and
you just pass it the physical device name and known block number?

As for checking out a disk ..

The prior poster's idea about putting the RAID in degraded mode for purposes of checking out a disk is,
Frankly, nuts. NEVER degrade anything.   Just use the hotspare and do a hot clone of the disk in question
to the hotspare, then make that disk the new hot spare and repeat..

Equate this to a "Rotating the Tires" mode.

David @ santools com
http://www.santools.com/smart/unix/manual