Re: Create software RAID from active partition

2008/9/1 Michal Soltys <soltys@xxxxxxxx>:
> What do:
>
> mdadm -E /dev/sda1
> mdadm -E /dev/sdb1
> mdadm -E /dev/sda2
> mdadm -E /dev/sdb2
>
> show, if anything ?

Hi Michal,

Each device reports the same as /dev/sdb1:

# mdadm -E /dev/sdb1
mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sdb1.

I think there might be a more subtle problem - the disks /dev/sda2 and
/dev/sdb2 appear to have the same UUID. I'm not sure of the
significance at present and am going to have to do a bit more
investigation, but it is enough to prevent

pvcreate /dev/sda2

from working - unless I specify the -ff flag as an additional
parameter, which I am loathe to try without understanding what might
happen. I was working towards creating an lvm-mirror following some
earlier advice in this thread, and found this problem when using
system-config-lvm. The GUI shows /dev/sda2 as uninitialised and the
error occurs when trying to initialise it. Any further advice would be
gratefully received (although I appreciate that this is the
linux-raid, not linux-lvm group)!

Best wishes and thanks for your suggestions.

Michael