From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 12:33:54 PM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Opensuse doesn't wait long enough for the disks to spin up before trrying to configure raid

On Saturday 30 August 2008 21:03:34 Mike Myers wrote:
> The bottom line is about half the time I try to boot the system, it fails
> and needs some console work before I can bring it up.  Does anyone know if
> there is a fixed time delay somewhere that waits for the disks to spin up
> or does it use a different way of telling if it's done?

I'm not sure what exactly is failing here. Once the disk identifies itself on
the bus, a udev event causes the device node to get created. Does it get
created?

What exactly is the error message when boot.lvm fails to assemble the logical
volumes?

boot.md will wait 60 seconds for all udev events to get processed. Would it
help to increase that (in /etc/sysconfig/mdadm, the value is
MDADM_DEVICE_TIMEOUT)?

Otherwise, you have to let us know exactly where in the chain things fail

Anders