Re: Out of sync mirrors

> Ana:
>
> You are making this way too hard for yourself
> If you want to stop the queue but let the RAID system continue
> processing the queue, then just sending I/O from whatever program you
> are using to generate the load.  This won't let you start up with a
> partially unflushed queue, but if for whatever reason you need to
> measure effects of pending I/Os and timing, then you can obtain a
> reasonably good simulation by increasing the queue depth and repeating
> the test.

I didn't quite understood what you are saying. I need to stop the
queue in order to see its growth.

> As for A way to get RAID (I assume software RAID, a la the md driver),
> to get out of sync is to "remove" a disk drive.  If you are afraid to
> crack the case, then use a cheap USB enclosure for one of the disks and
> then turn it off or unplug the USB connector.  You can also "remove" a
> disk by sending it a command to go into a self-test, perform a low-level
> format, send a mode select to change the block size, there are lots of
> ways if you think outside of the box.

By doing this I wouldn't see its queue building up, would I?

Basically I need to simulate a raid with disks of different speeds.
Where a faster mirror would process its requests before the slower
ones.
For reads it processes more requests to keep the raid load balanced.
But for writes I can't load balance, all have to write. The problem is
that the faster is slowing down to meet the slower disk throughput.

See the queue build up is key.

Thanks,
AP