Re: Benchmarks: Linux Kernel RAID vs a Hardware RAID setup

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

It is possible that I am thinking of what you call fakeraid.
I like "firmware raid" better, but the bottom line here is that the raid is still done in the system CPU. These often have little or no hardware support, such as cache so that multiple drives can be written without passing the data through the system bus more than once (and chancing change while that happens).

OK, if the definition on these controllers is that they must have support
from the OS, then I think most of the mobos today come with hardware
raid, that is there needs to be no support in Linux for this. Everything
is set up via the bios, and from the linux kernel it looks like an
ordinary disk.

The problem here is it looks like an ordinary disk to the BIOS only. Grub can use this to load the kernel and initrd from, but when the kernel boots it sees the controller as the simple controller it is with some disks connected to it. It requires something like dmraid to make the "array" visible as an actual array.

None of these controllers perform any of the RAID offload themselves, it's all handled by the driver. Windows loads using the BIOS and then hands over to the driver which handles the raid, just the same as linux does with dmraid.

I believe some of the ITE chipsets can handle raid-1 and possibly raid-0 internally, and the kernel has the ability to drive those as a raid controller, but they are somewhat rarer than the other fakeraid implementations out there.

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them