Re: Benchmarks: Linux Kernel RAID vs a Hardware RAID setup

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 21:41 +0200, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:06:09AM +1000, Ben Martin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   Apologies if posting this here is inappropriate but a recent article
> > of mine compares the Linux Kernel RAID code to an $800 hardware RAID
> > card and might be of interest to list members:
> >
> > http://www.linux.com/feature/140734
>
> Thanks for this! I have written about it on the wiki.

Excellent :)

> I see that the Adaptec has a mode 1E which looks a lot like Linux
> raid10,o2.  It could be fun to compare these, and also raid10,f2.

I'd also like to compare the 5EE type modes as RAID-6 does bring a fair
degradation of performance for its two failure protection.

> Also, if you wish, it would be nice to see what can actually be achieved
> without the expensive Adaptec card, that is what can be done with the
> controller on the mobo, with arrays with 4 disks.

I was actually a bit worried that the card was geared toward middle tear
as there are more performance oriented cards around (including the
commensurate price).

> And also if the mobo controller has raid types, what could be achieved
> with this....

This would be very interesting. Taking a common middle level P45 board
and benchmarking the mobo RAID vs the kernel RAID.