Re: Whole drives or Only partitions for mdadm software RAIDs?

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, thomas62186218@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all,

I have a simple question:

Is there any problem using the full hard drive (/dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc) as opposed to partitions (/dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1, etc) when creating software RAIDs? I'd rather commit the full device to the RAID since I am certain I won't use it for anything else, and I am scripting this so I don't want to have to fdisk every drive before creating a RAID...that would take far too much time. Most mdadm documentation always refers to partitions rather than full devices, so I wanted to make sure it was indeed OK to use full devices.

Please let me know. Thank you all!

Thanks!
Thomas

Best to use partitions, so if you over-write the MBR of the drive it won't mess up the RAID (e.g., run LILO on a raid volume => oops! but if its a partition, no problems)..

Justin.