Re: Proper partition type for components with V1.x superblocks?

Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The subject pretty much says it all - it obviously is not 0xFD, since
> there is nothing to autodetect. Is there some best
> practice/semi-standard way of marking a raid component partition as
> such? After reading the specs 0xDA (non-fs data) comes to mind, but I
> figured I'll ask here.

I recently wondered if there should be a new partition type.

Partitioning tools look for (and sometimes find!) filesystems on 0x83 partitions
so 0x83 is out (anyone splitting a mirror should be happy changing the type back)

I'd rather that rescue disk didn't think 'oh, I'll use that swap partition', so
0x82 is out.

I don't want md trying to autodetect and complaining so, as you say, 0xfd is out.

I think it would be nice to mark them as 0xFC

David