Re: RAID5 losing initial synchronization on restart when one disk is spare

Hubert Verstraete wrote:
Hello

According to mdadm's man page:
"When creating a RAID5 array, mdadm will automatically create a degraded
array with an extra spare drive. This is because building the spare
into a degraded array is in general faster than resyncing the parity on
a non-degraded, but not clean, array. This feature can be over-ridden
with the --force option."

Unfortunately, I'm seeing a kind of bug when I create a RAID5 array with an internal bitmap, then stop the array before the initial synchronization is done and restart the array.

1° When I create the array with an internal bitmap:
mdadm -C /dev/md_d1 -e 1.2 -l 5 -n 4 -b internal -R /dev/sd?
I see the last disk as a spare disk. After the restart of the array, all disks are seen active and the array is not continuing the aborted synchronization!
Note that I did not use the --assume-clean option.

2° When I create the array without a bitmap:
mdadm -C /dev/md_d1 -e 1.2 -l 5 -n 4 -R /dev/sd?
I see the last disk as a spare disk. After the restart of the array, the spare disk is still a spare disk and the array continues the synchronization where it had stopped.

In the case 1°, is this a bug or did I miss something?
Secondly, what could be the consequences of this non-performed synchronization ?

Kernel version: 2.6.26-rc4
mdadm version: 2.6.2

Thanks,
Hubert

For the record, the new stable kernel 2.6.25.6 has the same issue.
I thought maybe the patch "md: fix prexor vs sync_request race" could have fixed this, unfortunately not.

Regards,
Hubert