Re: Change disk problem

Jon Lurås wrote:
> Hello
>
> I got a big problem with replacing disk on Software-RAID.
> Whatever I do it just ends up as a spare disk.
> I guess the problem is that the faulty disk was not removed from the RAID.
> We just shut down and replace'd the disk.
> Any idea of how to solve this?

You say 'spare' but I think you mean 'that md/mdadm is ignoring it completely
(on the grounds that it's not showing literally as a 'spare' in the --detail output.

This is expected behaviour - md does not just randomly grab new disks; you have
to use 'mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/hdk1' (use the correct component) to give md
permission to use the new disk.

Note that you should have partitioned it too (ie 'just shut down and replace'
becomes, shut down, replace, partition, mdadm --add )

>     Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
>        0      56        1        0      active sync   /dev/hdi1
>        1      56       65        1      active sync   /dev/hdj1
>        2       0        0        2      removed

Look at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ for more info...

HTH

David