Re: RAID-5 data corruption

Dan Williams schrieb:

Did one of the disks cause the USB reset message?  It appears to
coincide with the start of the trouble, but it may be just that,
coincidence.

That's interesting. 5.3.2 is sde, the disk I have to remove to make e2fsck run through. I got these messages before, and they never seemed to hurt, so I ignored them. mismatch_cnt was always 0, and there's another USB disk, which isn't in the RAID, which also shows these resets sometimes, and there are no problems with this one. I do have other USB problems on this machine, though. It has 3 ports, and when I set the whole thing up with 2.6.23, two of them weren't working correctly (they sometimes disconnected randomly). I thought they had just died and since the third worked, I just threw a hub in and went on. It's of course still possible that it's a hardware issue, but back when I used this laptop as my main machine, I never had any USB problems. It definitely worked in Windows, I don't remember if I ever used a USB disk in Linux on this machine. I'll re-check Windows to see if I have the same problem there. What's interesting as well is that I just re-checked the supposedly bad USB ports with 2.6.24 by connecting a disk to each one and reading some large files, and I only saw the disconnect issue once today. I couldn't reproduce it up to now. That's strange, I remember it being very consistent in 2.6.23. I'll check that again too.

Have you run this operation on a kernel version prior to 2.6.24.3? If
so, which version?

Which operation do you mean? The array? I started out using 2.6.23.1, later switched to 2.6.23.14, then 2.6.24, and recently 2.6.24.3.

--
Oliver