Re: Creating RAID5 with four devices and end up with 5 (one removed and one spare). Why?

Thanks for your reply Robin!

Robin Hill wrote:
So what i don't get is:

1. Why is mdadm --examine listing "3 3 0 0 3 faulty removed" and telling me I have a failed device? 2. Why is one of the actual disks (sdf) used as a spare, even though I didn't ask for it?

Thanks for any tips or insights which may put me on the right track :)

This is perfectly normal (and explained in the manual page) - the RAID5
array is created in an initially degraded state, then rebuilt.  This
means the array can be available for use immediately, with the rebuild
taking place in the background.  You'll need to run 'mdadm -w /dev/md0'
to force the array into read-write mode (it's currently started in
auto-read-only mode) and the resync will then begin.

I had a suspicion this was the case for question number two -- why one of the disks initially are marked as spares. Good to have that cleared up!

But does that explain why mdadm believes I have another disk, a fifth disk, that has been removed? The ID numbers of the real disks are 0,1,2,4 but I would expect 0,1,2,3:

       Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
this      1       8       49        1      active sync   /dev/sdd1

    0     0       8       33        0      active sync   /dev/sdc1
    1     1       8       49        1      active sync   /dev/sdd1
    2     2       8       65        2      active sync   /dev/sde1
    3     3       0        0        3      faulty removed <-- What's up?
    4     4       8       81        4      spare   /dev/sdf1

Thanks!

Tor Arne