Re: transferring RAID-1 drives via sneakernet

Jeff Breidenbach wrote:
>> It's not a RAID issue, but make sure you don't have any duplicate volume
>> names.  According to Murphy's Law, if there are two / volumes, the wrong
>> one will be chosen upon your next reboot.
>
> Thanks for the tip. Since I'm not using volumes or LVM at all, I should be
> safe from this particular problem.

Volumes is being used as a generic term here.

You would be safest if, for the disks/partitions you are transferring, you made
the partition type 0x83 (linux) instead of 0xfd to prevent the kernel autodetecting.

Otherwise there is a risk that /dev/md0 and /dev/md1 will be transposed.

Having done that you can manually assemble the array and then configure
mdadm.conf to associate the UUID with the correct md device.

David
-