Re: howto and faq

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:21:08PM +0000, David Greaves wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > I would then like that to be reflected in the main page.
> > I would rather that this be called "Howto and FAQ - Linux raid"
> > than "Main Page - Linux Raid". Is that possible?
>
> Just like C has a main() wiki's have a Main Page :)
>
> I guess it could be changed but I think it involves editing the Mediawiki config
> - maybe next time I'm in there...

OK, good.

> > And then, how do we structure the pages? I think we need a new section
> > for the FAQ.
>
> By all means create an FAQ page and link to answers or other relevant sections
> of the wiki. Bear in mind that this is a reference work and whilst it may
> contain tutorials the idea is that it contains (reasonably) authoritative
> information about the linux raid subsystem (linking to the source, kernel docs
> or man pages if that's more appropriate).

Yes, I will be conservative and robust in what I write there.

> > And then I would like a clearer statement on the relation between the
> > linux-raid mailing list and the pages, right in the top of the main page.
> The relationship is loose - the statement as it stands describes the current
> state of affairs. If Neil feels that he could or would like to help the case by
> declaring a more official relationship then that's his call. To be fair I work
> on these pages on and off as the mood takes me :) if I was Neil I'd be keeping
> an eye on it and waiting for the right level of community involvement.

OK, I will only state something like the usual FAQ thing: please consult
the FAQ before submitting questions to the list.

> > I have had a look at other search engines, yahoo and msn.
> > Our pages do show up within the 10 first hits for "linux raid".
> > So that is not that bad. Still, Google has the
> > http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ page as number 127. That is very bad.
> > Maybe something about it being referenced from wikipedia?
>
> I'm not an expert at gaming the search engines - more than happy to do rational
> things like linking from Wikipedia and other reference sites.
>
> I am sad that I've had such a poor response from the other linux documentation
> sites... maybe a Slashdot article not so much about doc-rot but about the
> difficulty of combating doc-rot would help...
>
> Maybe they'd take more notice if I said "the linux raid subsystem maintainer
> says..." - dunno.

I think we should just contact some more people...
And then do some linking ourselves.

Best regards
Keld
-