Re: recommendations for stripe/chunk size

On Wednesday February 6, wd@xxxxxxx wrote:

> We implemented the option to select kernel page sizes of  4,  16,  64
> and  256  kB for some PowerPC systems (440SPe, to be precise). A nice
> graphics of the effect can be found here:
>
> https://www.amcc.com/MyAMCC/retrieveDocument/PowerPC/440SPe/RAIDinLinux_PB_0529a.pdf

Thanks for the link!

<quote>
The second improvement is to remove a memory copy that is internal to the MD driver. The MD
driver stages strip data ready to be written next to the I/O controller in a page size pre-
allocated buffer. It is possible to bypass this memory copy for sequential writes thereby saving
SDRAM access cycles.
</quote>

I sure hope you've checked that the filesystem never (ever) changes a
buffer while it is being written out.  Otherwise the data written to
disk might be different from the data used in the parity calculation
:-)

And what are the "Second memcpy" and "First memcpy" in the graph?
I assume one is the memcpy mentioned above, but what is the other?

NeilBrown
-