Re: RAID needs more to survive a power hit, different /boot layout for example (was Re: draft howto on making raids for surviving a disk crash)

Robin, thanks for the explanation. I have a further question.

Robin Hill wrote:

Once the file system is mounted then hdX,Y maps according to the
device.map file (which may actually bear no resemblance to the drive
order at boot - I've had issues with this before).  At boot time it maps
to the BIOS boot order though, and (in my experience anyway) hd0 will
always map to the drive the BIOS is booting from.

At the time that I use grub to write to the MBR, hd2,1 is /dev/sdc1. Therefore, I don't quite understand why this would not work:

grub <<EOF
root(hd2,1)
setup(hd2)
EOF

This would seem to be a command to have the MBR on hd2 written to use the boot on hd2,1. It's valid when written. Are you saying that it's a command for the MBR on /dev/sdc to find the data on (hd2,1), the location of which might change at any time? That's... a very strange way to write the tool. I thought it would be a command for the MBR on hd2 (sdc) to look at hd2,1 (sdc1) to find its data, regardless of the boot order that caused sdc to be the boot disk.

--
Moshe Yudkowsky * moshe@xxxxxxxxx * www.pobox.com/~moshe
 "Bring me the head of Prince Charming."