Re: In this partition scheme, grub does not find md information?

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
Michael Tokarev wrote:

To return to that peformance question, since I have to create at least 2 md drives using different partitions, I wonder if it's smarter to create multiple md drives for better performance.

/dev/sd[abcd]1 -- RAID1, the /boot, /dev, /bin/, /sbin

/dev/sd[abcd]2 -- RAID5, most of the rest of the file system

/dev/sd[abcd]3 -- RAID10 o2, a drive that does a lot of downloading (writes)

I think the speed of downloads is so far below the capacity of an array that you won't notice, and hopefully you will use things you download more than once, so you still get more reads than writes.

For typical filesystem usage, raid5 works good for both reads
and (cached, delayed) writes.  It's workloads like databases
where raid5 performs badly.

Ah, very interesting. Is this true even for (dare I say it?) bittorrent downloads?

What do you have for bandwidth? Probably not more than a T3 (145Mbit) which will max out at ~15MB/s, far below the write performance of a single drive, much less an array (even raid5).
It has been pointed out that I have a double typo there, I meant OC3 not T3, and 155Mbit. Still, the most someone is likely to have, even in a large company. Still not a large chance of being faster than the disk in raid-10 mode.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still

-