Re: RAID 1 and grub

David Rees wrote:

Have you tried re-running grub-install after booting from a rescue disk?

-Dave

Hi David,

I have but although I can advance further it seems that the BIOS is doing some strange things as well, switching drive ordering around.

With a new hda installed and partitioned, ready to be rebuilt, the good drive, hdc installed, the grub.conf modified to address (hd2,0) - I have an hdb installed also, and grub installed on hdc, booting with the BIOS set to start on hdc hangs with the message "grub stage2" then drops to a grub prompt.

I then enter "kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz" and it finds the kernel. I would have expected this to be on (hd2,0).

Next, "boot root=/dev/md2", "boot root=/dev/hdc3" or "boot root=/dev/hda3" all result in the kernel booting then panicing with a "cannot open root device".

I suspect you are correct that the Fedora installer, having built and installed to RAID1, does not finish the job by installing grub on the second drive.

While it is not a problem with this particular box to do a reinstall, it does not inspire confidence for a number of others that I have.

This is the first time I have lost the primary member of a RAID1, having replaced secondary members a number of times without issue.

Regards,

Richard
-