Re: Loop devices to RAID? (was Re: In this partition scheme, grub does not find md information?)

Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
My mind boggles. I know how to mount an ISO as a loop device onto the file system, but if you'd be so kind, can you give a super-brief description on how to get a loop device to look like an actual partition that can be made into a RAID array? I can see this software-only solution as being quite interesting for testing in general.

I tried this a while back, IIRC the procedure was:

1) Make some empty files of the required length each.

2) Use losetup to mount each one onto a loop device (loop0-3 say).

3) Use /dev/loop[0-3] as component devices to mdadm as you would use any other device or partition. It is not necessary to partition the loop devices, use them whole.

HTH

Tim
-