Re: Raid over 48 disks

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Norman Elton wrote:

We're investigating the possibility of running Linux (RHEL) on top of Sun's X4500 Thumper box:

http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4500/

Basically, it's a server with 48 SATA hard drives. No hardware RAID. It's designed for Sun's ZFS filesystem.

So... we're curious how Linux will handle such a beast. Has anyone run MD software RAID over so many disks? Then piled LVM/ext3 on top of that? Any suggestions?

Are we crazy to think this is even possible?

Thanks!

Norman Elton
-

It sounds VERY fun and exciting if you ask me! The most disks I've used when testing SW RAID was 10 with various raid settings. With that many drives you'd want RAID6 or RAID10 for sure incase more than one failed at the same time and definitely XFS/JFS/EXT4(?) as EXT3 is capped to 8TB.

I'd be curious what kind of aggregate bandwidth you can get off of it with that many drives.

Justin.
-