Re: assemble vs create an array.......

Thank you.
I want to make sure I understand.

1- Does it matter which permutation of drives I use for xfs_repair (as long as it tells me that the Structure needs cleaning)? When it comes to linux I consider myself at intermediate level, but I am a beginner when it comes to raid and filesystem issues.

2- After I do it, assuming that it worked, how do I reintegrate the 'missing' drive while keeping my data?

Thank you for you time.
Dragos

David Greaves wrote:
Dragos wrote:
Thank you for your very fast answers.

First I tried 'fsck -n' on the existing array. The answer was that If I
wanted to check a XFS partition I should use 'xfs_check'. That seems to
say that my array was partitioned with xfs, not reiserfs. Am I correct?

Then I tried the different permutations:
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --raid-devices=3 --level=5 missing /dev/sda1
/dev/sdb1
mount /dev/md0 temp
mdadm --stop --scan

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --raid-devices=3 --level=5 /dev/sda1 missing
/dev/sdb1
mount /dev/md0 temp
mdadm --stop --scan

[etc]

With some arrays mount reported:
  mount: you must specify the filesystem type
and with others:
  mount: Structure needs cleaning

No choice seems to have been successful.

OK, not as good as you could have hoped for.

Make sure you have the latest xfs tools.

you may want to try xfs_repair and you can use the -n (I think - check man page)
option.

You may need to force it to ignore the log

David

-