Re: raid6 check/repair

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Peter Grandi wrote:

ms> and linux-raid / mdadm did not complain or do anything.

The mystic version of Linux-RAID is in psi-test right now :-).

To me RAID does not seem the right abstraction level to deal with
this problem; and perhaps the file system level is not either,
even if ZFS tries to address some of the problem.

Hm. If I run a "check" on a raid1, I would expect it to read data from both disks and compare them, and complain if it's not identical. Are you sure you really mean what you're saying here?

I do realise that if the corruption happens above the raid layer then there is nothing we can do, but if md asks to write a block to two raid1 disks and the system corrupts the write and writes different data to the two different drives in the raid1, then when md does check at a later time and discovers this, it should scream bloody murder, choose one of the data and replicate it to the other one...? I know this might as well be the wrong data, but md can't figure that out, but it should correct the *raid1* inconsistancy, which I think is what the person you replied to meant?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx
-