Re: Raid-10 mount at startup always has problem

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 11:47:19AM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 09:18 +0100, Luca Berra wrote:
On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 10:59:01PM -0700, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>Doug Ledford wrote:
>>Anyway, I happen to *like* the idea of using full disk devices, but the
>>reality is that the md subsystem doesn't have exclusive ownership of the
>>disks at all times, and without that it really needs to stake a claim on
>>the space instead of leaving things to chance IMO.
>> >I've been re-reading this post numerous times - trying to ignore the >burgeoning flame war :) - and this last sentence finally clicked with me.

I am sorry Daniel, when i read Doug and Bill, stating that your issue
was not having a partition table, i immediately took the bait and forgot
about your original issue.

I never said *his* issue was lack of partition table, I just said I
don't recommend that because it's flaky.  The last statement I made
maybe i misread you but Bill was quite clear.

about his issue was to ask about whether the problem was happening
during initrd time or sysinit time to try and identify if it was failing
before or after / was mounted to try and determine where the issue might
lay.  Then we got off on the tangent about partitions, and at the same
time Neil started asking about udev, at which point it came out that
he's running ubuntu, and as much as I would like to help, the fact of
the matter is that I've never touched ubuntu and wouldn't have the
faintest clue, so I let Neil handle it.  At which point he found that
the udev scripts in ubuntu are being stupid, and from the looks of it
are the cause of the problem.  So, I've considered the initial issue
root caused for a bit now.
It seems i made an idiot of myself by missing half of the thread, and i
even knew ubuntu was braindead in their use of udev at startup, since a
similar discussion came up on the lvm or the dm-devel mailing list (that
time iirc it was about lvm over multipath)

like udev/hal that believes it knows better than you about what you have
on your disks.
but _NEITHER OF THESE IS YOUR PROBLEM_ imho

Actually, it looks like udev *is* the problem, but not because of
partition tables.
you are right.

L.

--