Re: Raid-10 mount at startup always has problem

Doug Ledford wrote:
On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 11:15 +0200, Luca Berra wrote:
On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 02:40:06AM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
The partition table is the single, (mostly) universally recognized
arbiter of what possible data might be on the disk.  Having a partition
table may not make mdadm recognize the md superblock any better, but it
keeps all that other stuff from even trying to access data that it
doesn't have a need to access and prevents random luck from turning your
day bad.
on a pc maybe, but that is 20 years old design.

So?  Unix is 35+ year old design, I suppose you want to switch to Vista
then?

partition table design is limited because it is still based on C/H/S,
which do not exist anymore.
Put a partition table on a big storage, say a DMX, and enjoy a 20%
performance decrease.

Because you didn't stripe align the partition, your bad.
Align to /what/ stripe? Hardware (CHS is fiction), software (of the RAID you're about to create), or ??? I don't notice my FC6 or FC7 install programs using any special partition location to start, I have only run (tried to run) FC8-test3 for the live CD, so I can't say what it might do. CentOS4 didn't do anything obvious, either, so unless I really misunderstand your position at redhat, that would be your bad. ;-)

If you mean start a partition on a pseudo-CHS boundary, fdisk seems to use what it thinks are cylinders for that.

Please clarify what alignment provides a performance benefit.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-