Re: Patch for boot-time assembly of v1.x-metadata-based soft (MD) arrays

On 8/26/07, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Abe Skolnik wrote:
>
> > Dear Mr./Dr./Prof. Brown et al,
> >
> > I recently had the unpleasant experience of creating an MD array for
> > the purpose of booting off it and then not being able to do so.  Since
> > I had already made changes to the array's contents relative to that
> > which I cloned it from, I did not want to reformat the array and
> > re-clone it just to bring it down to the old 0.90 metadata format so
> > that I would be able to boot off it, so I searched for a solution, and
> > I found it.
> >
> > First I tried the patch (written by Neil Brown) which can be seen at...
> >  <http://www.issociate.de/board/post/277868/>
> >
> > That patch did not work as-is, but with some more hacking, I got it
> > working.  I then cleaned up my work and added relevant comments.
> >
> > I know that Mr./Dr./Prof. Brown is against in-kernel boot-time MD
> > assembly and prefers init[rd/ramfs], but I prefer in-kernel assembly,
> > and I think several other people do too.  Since this patch does not
> > (AFAIK) disable the init[rd/ramfs] way of bringing up MDs in boot-time,
> > I hope that this patch will be accepted and submitted up-stream for
> > future inclusion in the mainline kernel.org kernel distribution.
> > This way kernel users can choose their MD assembly strategy at will
> > without having to restrict themselves to the old metadata format.
> >
> > I hope that this message finds all those who read it doing well and
> > feeling fine.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Abe Skolnik
> >
> > P.S.  Mr./Dr./Prof. Brown, in case you read this:  thanks!
> >      And if you want your name removed from the code, just say so.
> >

> > but I prefer in-kernel assembly,
> > and I think several other people do too.
> I concur with this statement, why go through the hassle of init[rd/ramfs]
> if we can just have it done in the kernel?

Because you can rely on the configuration file to be certain about
which disks to pull in and which to ignore.  Without the config file
the auto-detect routine may not always do the right thing because it
will need to make assumptions.

So I turn the question around, why go through the exercise of trying
to improve an auto-detect routine which can never be perfect when the
explicit configuration can be specified by a config file?

I believe the real issue is the need to improve the distributions'
initramfs build-scripts and relieve the hassle of handling MD details.

> Justin.

Regards,
Dan
-