Patch for boot-time assembly of v1.x-metadata-based soft (MD) arrays

Dear Mr./Dr./Prof. Brown et al,

I recently had the unpleasant experience of creating an MD array for
the purpose of booting off it and then not being able to do so.  Since
I had already made changes to the array's contents relative to that
which I cloned it from, I did not want to reformat the array and
re-clone it just to bring it down to the old 0.90 metadata format so
that I would be able to boot off it, so I searched for a solution, and
I found it.

First I tried the patch (written by Neil Brown) which can be seen at...
  <http://www.issociate.de/board/post/277868/>

That patch did not work as-is, but with some more hacking, I got it
working.  I then cleaned up my work and added relevant comments.

I know that Mr./Dr./Prof. Brown is against in-kernel boot-time MD
assembly and prefers init[rd/ramfs], but I prefer in-kernel assembly,
and I think several other people do too.  Since this patch does not
(AFAIK) disable the init[rd/ramfs] way of bringing up MDs in boot-time,
I hope that this patch will be accepted and submitted up-stream for
future inclusion in the mainline kernel.org kernel distribution.
This way kernel users can choose their MD assembly strategy at will
without having to restrict themselves to the old metadata format.

I hope that this message finds all those who read it doing well and
feeling fine.

Sincerely,

Abe Skolnik

P.S.  Mr./Dr./Prof. Brown, in case you read this:  thanks!
      And if you want your name removed from the code, just say so.