Re: Customize the error emails of `mdadm --monitor`

Gabor Gombas wrote:
On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 02:23:31PM +0200, Peter Rabbitson wrote:

This would not work as arrays are assembled by the kernel at boot time, at which point there is no udev or anything else for that matter other than /dev/sdX. And I am pretty sure my OS (debian) does not support udev in initrd as of yet.

But I think sending mails from the initrd isn't supported either, so if
you already hack the initrd, you can get the path information from
sysfs. udev is nothing magical, it just walks the sysfs tree and calls
some little helper programs when collecting the information for building
/dev/disk; you can do that yourself if you want.

Gabor

I think I did not make my problem clear enough. The _device name_ reported in the emails is the one with which the array was initially assembled. For this I have two choices:

* Kernel auto-assembly - the parts are properly detected and assembled, but there is no strong relationship between component number and sdX, especially if asynchronous scsi scanning takes place.

* Assembly by mdadm.conf - I can put whatever block devices I want in there, and they will be preserved in the email, but it is very cumbersome to do it for root and other system partitions.

So I was asking if the component _number_, which is unique to a specific device regardless of the assembly mechanism, can be reported in case of a failure.

-