Re: Customize the error emails of `mdadm --monitor`

Iustin Pop wrote:
On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 01:31:44PM +0200, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
Peter Rabbitson wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way to list the _number_ in addition to the name of a problematic component? The kernel trend to move all block devices into the sdX namespace combined with the dynamic name allocation renders messages like "/dev/sdc1 has problems" meaningless. It would make remote server support so much easier, by allowing the administrator to label drive trays Component0 Component1 Component2... etc, and be sure that the local tech support person will not pull out the wrong drive from the system.

Any takers? Or is it a RTFM question (in which case I certainly overlooked the relevant doc)?

If you use udev, have you looked in /dev/disk? I think it solves the
problem you need by allowing one to see either the disks by id or by
path. Making the reverse map is then trivial (for a reasonable number of
disks).

This would not work as arrays are assembled by the kernel at boot time, at which point there is no udev or anything else for that matter other than /dev/sdX. And I am pretty sure my OS (debian) does not support udev in initrd as of yet.

Pete
-