Re: LINEAR RAID, little help

I forgot to ask something, sorry. With RAID0 and all the odd size drives I have I'd get a lot of left over unused space. Is there anyway to make use of this slack?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich wrote:
Neil Brown wrote:
(This is maybe sort of off topic since this list about raid and not
filesystems and virtual such either.)

Maybe you just want the appearance of things being as one volume? I
might recommend you looking into unionfs:

http://www.filesystems.org/project-unionfs.html

It's actually quite useful. You might have some logical division of the
data. Put TV stuff on one disk, Movies on another. The unionfs overlay
maps everything together into a virtual bigdisk. It's also very simple
and no superblocks or headers needed either.
Thanks I shall take a look into it :)

Linux raid0 works with varying sized drives without problem.
Ah, kewl.. I might do, depends how much drive space I loose. Speed wise I don't find linear to bad I can read and write over gigabit network at around 30mb/sec.

If you lose one drive, you should consider that you have lost the
whole array.  You might be able to recover some data, if you are lucky
and spend a lot of time hunting for it.  But it is quite unlikely that
you will get much that is useful.

Ah right, well for the time being A lot of my friends have the same data so loosing it is just inconvenient rather than a major no-go.

The man page is out of date.  With reasonably recent kernel/mdadm you
can
  mdadm --grow /dev/mdX --add /dev/sdY

To add a drive to a linear array.  You then need to grow the
filesystem of course.

But yes:  A big linear array is good for scratch space, but I wouldn't
want to store data that I couldn't afford to lose.

NeilBrown
Cheers Neil, Once I can find enough hdd space else where to backup I might play around with RAID0 etc I do plan to replace my odd size drives with 500GB ones and RAID5 but I can't afford that at the moment.

Thanks,

Rich

-