Re: raid6 rebuild

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:

[*] probably an entirely defective batch of 14 Samsung Spinpoint
500G disks

Lets hope not... Keep checking those SMART values...

Failed disk #2 still reports a SMART status of "PASSED"..

Hmmm.. I'd be tempted to double check your hardware + kernel versions then - I did have an older SCSI array on an older server (dual 500Mhz Xeons!) give me the occasional sector read error, but when going back and using badblocks (read only) on the disk, it checked out just fine... I never got to the bottom of it, but it only started happening when I went from a 2.4 kernel where it was configures as 2 x 4-disk RAID-5 arrays to a 2.6 one where it was configures as a single 8 drive RAID-6 array with the new Adaptec SCSI driver... (My suspicions were that of old hardware combined with new drivers and a slight motherboard timing issue, as the R6 code might well drive the underlying hardware "harder" than when it was in dual R5 mode, but it was retired before it became a serious issue)

Gordon
-