Re: raid6 rebuild

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 07:03:08AM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> > While my RAID6 array was rebuilding after one disk had failed (which
> > I replaced), a second disk failed[*], and this caused the rebuild
> > process to start over from the beginning.
> >
> > Why would the rebuild need to start over from the beginning in this
> > case?  Why couldn't it just continue from where it was?
>
> I can't answer your question, just make the comment: Hurrah for RAID-6!

Agreed, although I'm still only just in the testing phase with this
array.  It isn't in production yet, and I don't have any important data
on the array that I don't have backups of.

> I presume the restarted rebuild went OK?

Yep, it had just finished when I just woke up, so now it's back from
double-degraded to degraded.  Just in time for the third disk to start
failing, which will probably fail during the rebuild of the second
failed disk after I swap that one out in a couple of minutes..

> > [*] probably an entirely defective batch of 14 Samsung Spinpoint
> > 500G disks
>
> Lets hope not... Keep checking those SMART values...

Failed disk #2 still reports a SMART status of "PASSED"..
-