Re: Help with chunksize on raid10 -p o3 array

Neil Brown wrote:
The different block sizes in the reads will make very little
difference to the results as the kernel will be doing read-ahead for
you.  If you want to really test throughput at different block sizes
you need to insert random seeks.

Neil, thank you for the time and effort to answer my previous email. Excellent insights. I thought that read-ahead is filesystem specific, and subsequently I would be safe to use the raw device. I will definitely test with bonnie again.

* Why although I have 3 identical chunks of data at any time, dstat never showed simultaneous reading from more than 2 drives. Every dd run was accompanied by maxing out one of the drives at 58MB/s and another one was trying to catch up to various degrees depending on the chunk size. Then on the next dd run two other drives would be (seemingly random) selected and the process would repeat.

Poor read-balancing code.  It really needs more thought.
Possibly for raid10 we shouldn't try to balance at all.  Just read
from the 'first' copy in each case....

Is this anywhere near the top of the todo list, or for now raid10 users are bound to a maximum read speed of a two drive combination?

And a last question - earlier in this thread Bill Davidsen suggested to play with the stripe_cache_size. I tried to increase it (did just two tests though) with no apparent effect. Does this setting apply to raid1/10 at all or it is strictly in the raid5/6 domain? If so, are there any tweaks apart from the chunk size and the layout that can affect raid10 performance?

Once again thank you for the help.

Peter
-