Help with chunksize on raid10 -p o3 array

Hi,
I have been trying to figure out the best chunk size for raid10 before migrating my server to it (currently raid1). I am looking at 3 offset stripes, as I want to have two drive failure redundancy, and offset striping is said to have the best write performance, with read performance equal to far. Information on the internet is scarce so I decided to test chunking myself. I used the script http://rabbit.us/pool/misc/raid_test.txt to iterate through different chunk sizes, and try to dd the resulting array to /dev/null. I deliberately did not make a filesystem on top of the array - I was just looking for raw performance, and since the FS layer is not involved no caching/optimization is taking place. I also monitored the process with dstat in a separate window, and memory usage confirmed that this method is valid. I got some pretty weird results: http://rabbit.us/pool/misc/raid_test_results.txt From all my readings so far I thought that with chunk size increase the large block access throughput decreases while small block reads increase, and it is just a matter of finding a "sweet spot" balancing them out. The results, however, clearly show something else. There are some inconsistencies, which I attribute to my non-scientific approach, but the trend is clearly showing.

Here are the questions I have:

* Why did the test show best consistent performance over a 16k chunk? Is there a way to determine this number without running a lengthy benchmark, just from knowing the drive performance?

* Why although I have 3 identical chunks of data at any time, dstat never showed simultaneous reading from more than 2 drives. Every dd run was accompanied by maxing out one of the drives at 58MB/s and another one was trying to catch up to various degrees depending on the chunk size. Then on the next dd run two other drives would be (seemingly random) selected and the process would repeat.

* What the test results don't show but dstat did is how the array resync behaved after the array creation. Although my system can sustain reads from all 4 drives at the max speed of 58MB/s, here is what the resync at different chunk sizes looked like:

32k	-	simultaneous reads from all 4 drives at 47MB/s sustained
64k	-	simultaneous reads from all 4 drives at 56MB/s sustained
128k	-	simultaneous reads from all 4 drives at 54MB/s sustained
512k	-	simultaneous reads from all 4 drives at 30MB/s sustained
1024k	-	simultaneous reads from all 4 drives at 38MB/s sustained
4096k	-	simultaneous reads from all 4 drives at 44MB/s sustained
16384k	-	simultaneous reads from all 4 drives at 46MB/s sustained
32768k	-	simultaneous reads from 2 drives at 58MB/s sustained and
 		the other two at 26MB/s sustained alternating the speed
		between the pairs of drives every 3 seconds or so
65536k	-	All 4 drives started at 58MB/s sustained gradually
		reducing to 44MB/s sustained at the same time

I repeated just the creation of arrays - the results are consistent. Is there any explanation for this?
-