Re: Replace drive in RAID5 without losing redundancy?

Am 06.03.2007 um 08:37 schrieb dean gaudet:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Neil Brown wrote:

On Monday March 5, ralf@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Is it possible to mark a disk as "to be replaced by an existing spare", then migrate to the spare disk and kick the old disk _after_ migration
has been done? Or not even kick - but mark as new spare.

No, this is not possible yet.
You can get nearly all the way there by:

  - add an internal bitmap.
  - fail one drive
  - --build a raid1 with that drive (and the other missing)
  - re-add the raid1 into the raid5
  - add the new drive to the raid1
  - wait for resync

i have an example at
<http://arctic.org/~dean/proactive-raid5-disk-replacement.txt>... plus
discussion as to why this isn't the best solution.

Oops - you are right. While in raid1-resync-state there is no redundancy
for the disk that should be replaced and therefore I lose a lot of redundancy
for the raid5 above it. When I replace a disk that is in a good state -
everything is fine. When I replace one with read problems - I simply lose.
Not as good as I thought first ...

A build in solution would be able to avoid such problems - right.

Ralf Mueller

--
       An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

-