Re: no journaling and loops on softraid?

On Monday March 5, Dexter.Filmore@xxxxxx wrote:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID#Data_Scrubbing
>
> "Warning: Be aware that the combination of RAID5 and loop-devices will most
> likely cause severe filesystem damage, especially when using ext3 and
> ReiserFS. Some users suggest that XFS is not affected by this, but this has
> not been entirely confirmed. See kernel bug 6242 for updates on this bug.
>
> Note: There are also reports that Journaled Filesystems are problematic on all
> Software-RAID levels. No kernel bugs have been submitted regarding this bug
> as of yet. A number of the reports involve using cryptoloops which are known
> to cause corruption. See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-412467.html for
> more information. This thread should be taken with a grain of salt."
>
> Can someone shed some light on this? I have XFS on my raid and *had* problems
> when unpacking large archives with many small files.

Bugs that get mentioned on wiki's but never reported to maintainers
are unlikely to get fixed......

Back in 2.2 days ext3 over md/raid had problems if the raid was
rebuilding, but that was fixed in 2.4.

More recently there was an incompatibility between raid5 and dm-crypt
that could cause corruption, but that has been fixed on both sides
(there are two ways to report errors for a block-device request.
raid5 was setting only one of them and dm-crypt was listening only to
the other - there were "I don't have resources at the moment" errors
for read-ahead requests).

If you have problems with XFS on raid, I suggest you report it to the
XFS and RAID mailing lists - see the MAINTAINERS file for both.

NeilBrown
-