Re: swap on raid

Peter Rabbitson wrote:
Hi,

I need to use a raid volume for swap, utilizing partitions from 4 physical drives I have available. From my experience I have three options - raid5, raid10 with 2 offset chunks, and two raid 1 volumes that are swapon-ed with equal priority. However I have a hard time

Another option here would be a 4 disk RAID1, on the basis that it's giving you a simple, highly redundant setup.

If the performance requirement is such that you need the speed of RAID5, 10 etc., then you probably need to be looking at adding RAM or otherwise avoiding swapping in the first place.

The fact that you mention you are using partitions on disks that possibly have other partions doing other things, means raw performance will be compromised anyway.

Regards,

Richard
-