Re: raid5 software vs hardware: parity calculations?

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, berk walker wrote:

> dean gaudet wrote:
> > echo check >/sys/block/mdX/md/sync_action
> >
> > it'll read the entire array (parity included) and correct read errors as
> > they're discovered.

> Could I get a pointer as to how I can do this "check" in my FC5 [BLAG] system?
> I can find no appropriate "check", nor "md" available to me.  It would be a
> "good thing" if I were able to find potentially weak spots, rewrite them to
> good, and know that it might be time for a new drive.
>
> All of my arrays have drives of approx the same mfg date, so the possibility
> of more than one showing bad at the same time can not be ignored.

it should just be:

echo check >/sys/block/mdX/md/sync_action

if you don't have a /sys/block/mdX/md/sync_action file then your kernel is
too old... or you don't have /sys mounted... (or you didn't replace X with
the raid number :)

iirc there were kernel versions which had the sync_action file but didn't
yet support the "check" action (i think possibly even as recent as 2.6.17
had a small bug initiating one of the sync_actions but i forget which
one).  if you can upgrade to 2.6.18.x it should work.

debian unstable (and i presume etch) will do this for all your arrays
automatically once a month.

-dean
-