mdadm: what if - crashed OS

Hello,

My name is Vince Spinelli, from Buffalo, NY (US).  I am currently using
'mdadm' under Fedora Core 5 (32-bit) to run two Soft-RAID arrays.

1) RAID-1 (mirror) for mission critical data.  #drives = 2 ea. PATA ATA100
2) RAID-5 (striped+parity) for multimedia data.  #drives = 5 ea. SATA 3G

My question is this...

In case of catastropic machine failure, such as the operating system
(which is on a separate PATA ATA100 drive) failing or even the OS hard
drive being physically destroyed, how would I go about rebuilding my RAID
arrays?

Obviously, this would assume that the 7 disks which make up my arrays had
survived and were not damaged.

-I would obviously then build a new computer,
-install Linux, make sure 'mdadm' was installed,
-physically install all of my drives into the computer,
-copy my old /etc/mdadm.conf file (which has been saved on cd-rom but is
easily re-made) onto the new computer,
- and then what?

I have thought about this, and I can't understand how 'mdadm' decides the
health of an array.

For example, if I type at prompt:

/sbin/mdadm --detail /dev/md1

then I am given the current status of array 'md1'.  It may be clean,
degraded, recovering, or whatever.  Therefore, on a fresh install of
Linux, with a fresh copy of 'mdadm', I am led to believe that the result
of the previous command would be something like...

Active Devices = 0
Working Devices = 4
Failed Devices = 0
Spare Devices = 4

That, obviously would be no good.

So, please, if anyone has rebuilt a Soft-RAID array from scratch WHILE
STILL PRESERVING THE DATA ON THAT ARRAY with 'mdadm', please explain how
this is accomplished, as I'm sitting on 1.5 TB of data that I truly do not
want to lose.

Thank You,
- Vince

Vince Spinelli