Re: Odd (slow) RAID performance

Neil Brown wrote:
On Friday December 8, neilb@xxxxxxx wrote:
I have measured very slow write throughput for raid5 as well, though
2.6.18 does seem to have the same problem.  I'll double check and do a
git bisect and see what I can come up with.

Correction... it isn't 2.6.18 that fixes the problem.  It is compiling
without LOCKDEP or PROVE_LOCKING.  I remove those and suddenly a
3 drive raid5 is faster than a single drive rather than much slower.

Bill:  Do you have LOCKDEP or PROVE_LOCKING enabled in your .config ??

YES and NO respectively. I did try increasing the stripe_cache_size and got better but not anywhere near max performance, perhaps the PROVE_LOCKING is still at fault, although performance of RAID-0 is as expected, so I'm dubious. In any case, by pushing the size from 256 to 1024, 4096, and finally 10240 I was able to raise the speed to 82MB/s, which is right at the edge of what I need. I want to read the doc on stripe_cache_size before going huge, if that's K 10MB is a LOT of cache when 256 works perfectly in RAID-0.

I noted that the performance really was bad using 2k write, before increasing the stripe_cache, I will repeat that after doing some other "real work" things.

Any additional input appreciated, I would expect the speed to be (Ndisk - 1)*SingleDiskSpeed without a huge buffer, so the fact that it isn't makes me suspect there's unintended serialization or buffering, even when not need (and NOT wanted).

Thanks for the feedback, I'm updating the files as I type.
http://www.tmr.com/~davidsen/RAID_speed
http://www.tmr.com/~davidsen/FC6-config

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>