Re: Odd (slow) RAID performance

Roger Lucas wrote:
What drive configuration are you using (SCSI / ATA / SATA), what chipset
is
providing the disk interface and what cpu are you running with?
3xSATA, Seagate 320 ST3320620AS, Intel 6600, ICH7 controller using the
ata-piix driver, with drive cache set to write-back. It's not obvious to
me why that matters, but if it helps you see the problem I''m glad to
provide the info. I'm seeing ~50MB/s on the raw drive, and 3x that on
plain stripes, so I'm assuming that either the RAID-5 code is not
working well or I haven't set it up optimally.

If it had been ATA, and you had two drives as master+slave on the same
cable, then they would be fast individually but slow as a pair.

RAID-5 is higher overhead than RAID-0/RAID-1 so if your CPU was slow then
you would see some degradation from that too.

We have similar hardware here so I'll run some tests here and see what I
get...

Much appreciated. Since my last note I tried adding --bitmap=internal to the array. Bot is that a write performance killer. I will have the chart updated in a minute, but write dropped to ~15MB/s with bitmap. Since Fedora can't seem to shut the last array down cleanly, I get a rebuild on every boot :-( So the array for the LVM has bitmap on, as I hate to rebuild 1.5TB regularly. Have to do some compromises on that!

Thanks for looking!

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc