Re: Odd (slow) RAID performance

Neil Brown wrote:
On Monday December 4, dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Here is where I step into supposition territory.  Perhaps the
discrepancy is related to the size of the requests going to the block
layer.  raid5 always makes page sized requests with the expectation
that they will coalesce into larger requests in the block layer.
Maybe we are missing coalescing opportunities in raid5 compared to
what happens in the raid0 case?  Are there any io scheduler knobs to
turn along these lines?

This can be measured.  /proc/diskstats reports the number of requests
as well as the number of sectors.
The number of write requests is column 8.  The number of write sectors
is column 10.  Comparing these you can get an average request size.

I have found that the average request size is proportional to the size
of the stripe cache (roughly, with limits) but increasing it doesn't
increase through put.
I have measured very slow write throughput for raid5 as well, though
2.6.18 does seem to have the same problem.  I'll double check and do a
git bisect and see what I can come up with.

NeilBrown
Agreed, this is an ongoing problem, not a regression in 2.6.19. But I am writing 50MB/s to a single drive, 3x that to a three way RAID-0 array of those drives, and only 35MB/s to a three drive RAID-5 array. With large writes I know no reread is needed, and yet I get consistently slow write, which gets worse with smaller data writes (2k vs. 1MB for the original test).

Read performance is good, I will measure tomorrow and quantify "good," today is shot from ten minutes from now until ~2am, as I have a party to attend, followed by a 'cast to watch.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-