Re: why partition arrays?

Henrik Holst wrote:

Bodo Thiesen wrote:
Ken Walker <ken.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is LVM stable, or can it cause more problems than separate raids on a array.

[description of street smart raid setup]

(The same function could probably be achieved with logical partitions
and ordinary software raid levels.)

So, now decide for your own, if you consider LVM stable - I would ;)

Regards, Bodo

Have you lost any disc (i.e. "physical volumes") since February? Or lost
the meta-data?

I would not recommend anyone to use LVM if they are less than experts on
Linux systems. Setting up a LVM system is easy: administrating and
salvaging the same, was much more work. (I used it ~3 years ago)

My read on LVM is that (a) it's one more thing for the admin to learn, (b) because it's seldom used the admin will be working from documentation if it has a problem, and (c) there is no bug-free software, therefore the use of LVM on top of RAID will be less reliable than a RAID-only solution. I can't quantify that, the net effect may be too small to measure. However, the cost and chance of a finger check from (a) and (b) are significant.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-