Re: why partition arrays?

Henrik Holst <henrik.holst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Have you lost any disc (i.e. "physical volumes") since February?

In fact, we have. One disc failed, we removed it brought a new disc, set
it up like the other ones and finally added it to the degraded RAID
array. Now everything is fine again ;)

> Or lost the meta-data?

LVM meta-data or RAID meta-data?

LVM: In this case we may really get a problem. But on the other hand: How
would you try to loose those meta-data?

RAID6: There we would be quite save, as we have all LVs of raid1 called
raid?1 and so on. So if it wouldn't assemble anymore we could still fall
back to just recreate it.

> I would not recommend anyone to use LVM if they are less than experts on
> Linux systems.

LVM is such easy to use, I'd recommend anyone to use LVM in favor of
creating partitions etc. because I think, repartitioning a disc is MUCH
MORE error prone, than just creating a new LV. And you can do stuff like
enlarging an LV what you can't with partitions.

> Setting up a LVM system is easy: administrating and
> salvaging the same, was much more work. (I used it ~3 years ago)

Was that LVM on RAID? I'm talking about LVM on RAID.

Regards, Bodo
-