Re: RAID5 Recovery

The drives have not been repartitioned.

I think what happened is that I created a new raid5 array over the old
one, but never synced or initialized it.

I'm leery of re-creating the array as you suggest, because I think
re-creating an array "over top" of my existing array is what got me into
trouble in the first place.

Also, from mdadm man page (using v 1.12.0):

--assume-clean
    Tell mdadm that the array pre-existed and is known to be clean.
    This is only really useful for Building RAID1  array.   Only
    use this if you really know what you are doing.  This is currently
    only supported for --build.

This suggests to me that I can only use this to build a legacy array
without superblocks - which I don't want - and that since my array was
RAID5, that it's not "really useful", whatever that means. Oh, and also,
I don't really know what I'm doing. ;)

If I do re-create the array to regenerate the superblocks, isn't it
important that I know the exact parameters of the pre-existing array, to
get the data to match up? chunk size, parity method, etc?

I just don't want to rush in and mess things up. Did that once
already. ;)

Thanks,
Neil

-