Re: Propose of enhancement of raid1 driver

On Saturday October 21, mangoo@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Neil Brown wrote:
> > On Tuesday October 17, mirek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> I would like to propose an enhancement of raid 1 driver in linux kernel.
> >> The enhancement would be speedup of data reading on mirrored partitions.
> >> The idea is easy.
> >> If we have mirrored partition over 2 disks, and these disk are in sync, there is
> >> possibility of simultaneous reading of the data from both disks on the same way
> >> as in raid 0. So it would be chunk1 read from master, chunk2 read from slave at
> >> the same time.
> >> As result it would give significant speedup of read operation (comparable with
> >> speed of raid 0 disks).
> >
> > This is not as easy as it sounds.
> > Skipping over blocks within a track is no faster than reading blocks
> > in the track, so you would need to make sure that your chunk size is
> > larger than one track - probably it would need to be several tracks.
>
> What you said is certainly true when we read one file at a given moment.
>
> What if we read two different files at a given time? Certainly, it would
> be faster if DRIVE_1 reads FILE_1, and DRIVE_2 reads FILE_2.

And it is possible that md/raid1 currently does that (I think it
depends a bit on the size and location of the files).

But what if you are reading 3 separate areas of the filesystem...
Sharing that over 2 drives when you don't know in-advance what will be
done is probably non-trivial :-)

> > Raid1 already does some read-balancing, though it is possible (even
> > likely) that it doesn't balance very effectively.  Working out how
> > best to do the balancing in general in a non-trivial task, but would
> > be worth spending time on.
>
> Probably what I said before isn't very correct, as RAID-1 has no idea of
> the filesystem that is on top of it; rather, it will see attempts to
> access differend areas of the array?

Exactly.  It just sees block address.  It tends to prefer to send a
request to a drive that has recently been asked to read a block nearby
the new request.

NeilBrown
-