Re: 2 Hard Drives & RAID

Justin Piszcz wrote:

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Sandra L. McGrew wrote:

I have two hard drives installed in this DELL GX110 Optiplex computer. I
believe that they are configured in RAID5, but am not certain. Is there a graphical method of determining how many drives are being used and how they
are configured???
I'm using Debian, 'Sarge'...

The computer is incrediby fast... I'm thinking that could be because it's a
DELL or because the drives are mirrored...
            I would apppreciate any help that you can give me...
                  Most sincerley,
                               Dan (nurse1@longviewcomm[removethis].net)

-

RAID5 requires 3 drives or more.

To check your disks type: fdisk -l as root.

Justin.

Actually, RAID5 requires 2 drives, but that does defeat most of the reason for RAID5 in the 1st place.

I think that "cat /proc/mdstat" is a fast way to see if the box sees the drives as RAID. If you have mdadm installed, it has a wealth of querys - assuming that you do have some RAID items - and they may be whole disks or partitions.

b-

-