Re: Resize on dirty array?

Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would be a lot happier about it if the block layer told me whether
> the fail was a Media error or some other sort of error.

This wouldn't help you either. I've seen drives (mainly Samsung) that
locked up the whole IDE bus after some simple (subsequent) sector-read-
errors.
And with strange IDE drivers (like PDC202XX_NEW) this could also
escalate to whole-machine freezes - I've also seen this and had to play
hardly with device-mapper's dm-error target to work around this :)

So IMHO at least the default behaviour should stay as it currently is:
if a drive fails, do never ever touch it again. Perhaps, you could make
such a "FAILING" feature somehow configurable (perhaps even on a
per-mirror base) in order to allow users to enable it for drives they
*do* know they don't show up such a bad behaviour.

regards
   Mario
--
Independence Day: Fortunately, the alien computer operating system works just
fine with the laptop. This proves an important point which Apple enthusiasts

-