Re: Resize on dirty array?

On Monday August 7, jamespev@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have a software raid 5 setup with four drives.  One drive failed.  I
> got a replacement but unfortunately it turns out that my original disks
> were just a few gigs over the replacement.  It seems that most
> manufacturers don't actually advertise the REAL capacity of the disk, so
> getting one that is the same size as the old ones could be tough.(and
> they aren't available anymore of course...)
>
> So my question... can I resize the array while it is missing a drive?
> The raid is <50% full, and the few gigs is only a few percent.  In
> retrospect I shouldn't have sized them right to the limit...

Yes, that should work.

First resize the filesystem to make it smaller.
Then resize the array
  mdadm --grow /dev/mdX --size=whatever

You have to calculate 'whatever' yourself.  It is in kibibytes and
must be 128K < size of new drive, and obviously must leave room for
the filesystem.

A good suggestion is:
  shrink the filesystem a lot.
  shrink the array an adequate amount
  add the new drive
  resize the array up to 'max'  (mdadm -G /dev/mdX --size=max)
  resize the filesystem up to max.

NeilBrown
-