Re: raid5 write performance

On Sunday August 13, raziebe@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> well ... me again
>
> Following your advice....
>
> I added a deadline for every WRITE stripe head when it is created.
> in raid5_activate_delayed i checked if deadline is expired and if not i am
> setting the sh to prereadactive mode as .
>
> This small fix ( and in few other places in the code) reduced the
> amount of reads
> to zero with dd but with no improvement to throghput. But with random access to
> the raid  ( buffers are aligned by the stripe width and with the size
> of stripe width )
> there is an improvement of at least 20 % .
>
> Problem is that a user must know what he is doing else there would be
> a reduction
> in performance if deadline line it too long (say 100 ms).

So if I understand you correctly, you are delaying write requests to
partial stripes slightly (your 'deadline') and this is sometimes
giving you a 20% improvement ?

I'm not surprised that you could get some improvement.  20% is quite
surprising.  It would be worth following through with this to make
that improvement generally available.

As you say, picking a time in milliseconds is very error prone.  We
really need to come up with something more natural.
I had hopped that the 'unplug' infrastructure would provide the right
thing, but apparently not.  Maybe unplug is just being called too
often.

I'll see if I can duplicate this myself and find out what is really
going on.

Thanks for the report.

NeilBrown
-