Re: raid5 write performance

On Sunday July 2, raziebe@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Neil hello.
>
> I have been looking at the raid5 code trying to understand why writes
> performance is so poor.

raid5 write performance is expected to be poor, as you often need to
pre-read data or parity before the write can be issued.

> If I am not mistaken here, It seems that you issue a write in size of
> one page an no more no matter what buffer size I am using .

I doubt the small write size would contribute more than a couple of
percent to the speed issue.  Scheduling (when to write, when to
pre-read, when to wait a moment) is probably much more important.

> 1. Is this page is directed only to parity disk ?

No.  All drives are written with one page units.  Each request is
divided into one-page chunks, these one page chunks are gathered -
where possible - into strips, and the strips are handled as units
(Where a strip is like a stripe, only 1 page wide rather then one chunk
wide - if that makes sense).

> 2. How can i increase the write throughout ?

Look at scheduling patterns - what order are the blocks getting
written, do we pre-read when we don't need to, things like that.

The current code tries to do the right thing, and it certainly has
been worse in the past, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could still
be improved.

NeilBrown
-